Breastfeeding is an important part of both you and your baby’s health.
Some parents have a tough time getting started, and support by family and providers can help get you through. We will always support parents feeding choices, but encourage families to give breastfeeding a try.
Good reasons to breastfeed include:
For the Baby:
- Breastmilk is best for baby. It is easily digestible and changes to meet baby’s growing needs
- There is no preparation needed
- Breastfeeding helps to reduce diseases like Asthma, food allergy, eczema, diarrhea, ear infections, certain types of childhood cancers and juvenile-onset diabetes mellitus
- SIDS occurs less frequently in breastfed babies
- Breastfeeding/chest feeding aids in bonding
For the lactating Parent, significantly decreased rates of:
- Breast and Ovarian cancer
- High blood pressure
- Heart attacks and high cholesterol
- Auto immune disorders such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus
Our staff members have been trained in initial breastfeeding support measures, and will review them with you during your prenatal care, at your birth and before you go home from the center. Additionally, after you are home:
- We are available around the clock for questions or concerns
- We have classes available to help prepare new parents for breastfeeding
- We have partnered with The Mama’hood to host a weekly breastfeeding support group
- One-on-one feeding evaluation is also available
- We have a list of local resources for in-home lactation consultation
Seasons Midwifery & Birth Center also works in close partnership with the Mother’s Milk Bank of CO to provide human breastmilk for supplementation. We are also a partner with the milk bank to be a drop off site for breastmilk donations.